As an educator, you know that some students are never prepared for a pop quiz. Others keep up with their homework and reading, and a surprise test doesn't throw them for a loop.
Planning ahead for life's unexpected turns is a bit like being prepared for class. Although it's difficult to face your own mortality, taking steps to ensure financial security for the people who depend on you makes sense.
Although you may have some life insurance benefits available through your district, you may want to supplement those benefits with low-cost term life insurance available through CTA’s endorsed provider, The Standard.
You can apply for coverage at any time. Generally, coverage requires proof of good health and is subject to approval by The Standard. However, you can apply without proof of good health if you:
- Apply during the first 120 days of employment or if you are a newly hired CTA member. New educators, take note! This is a one-time opportunity to enroll in up to $200,000 of life insurance – and disability insurance.
- Apply within 31 days of a family status change; this includes birth, adoption, marriage, domestic partnership, divorce or other qualifying events.
Take advantage of special enrollment opportunities, which happen throughout the year, including chapter campaigns or transferring coverage from another carrier. To learn more, visit http://www.ctamemberbenefits.org/thestandard or call The Standard's dedicated CTA Customer Service Department at 800-522-0406.
For costs and further details of the coverage, including exclusions, benefit waiting periods, any reductions or limitations and the terms under which the policy may be continued in force, please contact Standard Insurance Company at 800-522-0406.
Term life insurance through CTA offers low monthly premiums and coverage options from $25,000 up to $400,000 (proof of good health is always required for amounts over $200,000). Life insurance coverage could help your spouse pay off a mortgage, or cover the cost of your children's college educations.
The CTA Voluntary Life Insurance Plan also features:
- CTA-NEA Retired Term Life Insurance Coverage allowing current participants to continue a portion of their current coverage into retirement.
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment benefits equal to the amount of Life coverage, up to $200,000, at no additional cost.
- Optional Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment coverage for your spouse/domestic partner and children with your Life insurance.
- Accelerated Benefit, which provides advance payments in the event of terminal illness.
- Continuation of coverage during total disability.
- Additional Repatriation Benefits to pay for expenses related to transporting remains.
- Accommodations for a leave of absence, employment transfer, labor dispute or temporary layoff.
CTA is here to help you in your time of need. To learn more about this valuable benefit available through CTA, visit http://www.ctamemberbenefits.org/thestandard. For costs and further details of the coverage, including exclusions, benefit waiting periods, any reductions or limitations and the terms under which the policy may be continued in force, please contact Standard Insurance Company's dedicated CTA Customer Service Department at 800-522-0406, from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time.